An automated yeast counter using traditional dyes.
Manufacturer: Aber Instruments Ltd.
The Aber Countstar can be used for rapid counting of yeast cells
and viability estimation. The Countstar is simple to operate and eliminates
the time consuming, tedious and potentially error prone haemocytometer operation.
Principle of Operation
The Aber Countstar is the first slide-based image analysis instrument for yeast cells that can be used
with the same safe, traditional stains used in microscopy.
The instrument uses disposable slides containing 5 sample chambers
that require just 20µl for each sample.
Using auto-focusing cell image analysis, one measurement takes less
than 20 seconds with a 5 megapixel industrial colour camera to provide
the cell count (total, live and dead), the viability%, cell diameter and the
degree of aggregation.
- Safe handling and disposal of samples with traditional stains such as Methylene Blue
- Data easily comparable with traditional microscopy with a haemocytometer
- A simpler preparation routine than two-step/ dual dye alternative fluorescent dye based methods.
- Unique auto-focusing image analysis provides reproducible data
- Small sample volume, only 20 µl needed
- Low cost and waste per test using disposable, individually wrapped plastic slide with 5 chambers
- Wide cell density range ( 5x104 - 3x107 cells/ml )
- Minimum maintenance and cleaning